Skip to main content

About this Show

Stossel

News/Business. (2012)

NETWORK

DURATION
01:00:00

RATING

SCANNED IN
San Francisco, CA, USA

SOURCE
Comcast Cable

TUNER
Virtual Ch. 760 (FOX NEWS HD)

VIDEO CODEC
mpeg2video

AUDIO CODEC
ac3

PIXEL WIDTH
1280

PIXEL HEIGHT
720

TOPIC FREQUENCY

America 12, Hollywood 11, Us 6, Obama 4, Cronkite 3, United States 3, Ted Koppel 3, Afghanistan 3, Boston 3, Msnbc 3, Tim Tebow 2, Arnold 2, God 2, Brokaw 2, Subaru 2, Heston 2, Ben Affleck 2, Koppel 2, California 2, Nick 1,
Borrow a DVD
of this show
  FOX News    Stossel    News/Business.  (2012)  

    December 2, 2012
    9:00 - 10:00pm PST  

9:00pm
he reportedly has all of the nurses charm he's well cared for. get well soon mr. president. america loves you. [ applause ] before we go thank you to governoruc had huck for trusting me to fill in for him this week . thank you, audience for being here, good night. [ applause ] ♪
9:01pm
>> socialism. the new craze. >> i am not a liberal. >> i was raised a socialist. my families are not liberals. they were socialists. >> we collected some great hollywood interviews and it all starts right now. >> once upon a time you and i actually felt journalism was a calling. >> i still think i'm doing something noble. >> caution. you are about to enter the no-spin zone. the factor begins right now. >> him bill o'reilly. thanks for watching "the factor goes holy" actors yuck nor russian james kaan, kelsy grammar have something to say
9:02pm
about how this done hi tri-has changed. >> if we look at history, our greet country and freedom are under attack. we're at a tipping point and quite possibly our country as woe know it may be lost forever if we don't change the course our countried headed. >> you're saying, look, we're headed for armageddon in what way? >> don't say armageddon. we need to go one direction, left, which would be socialism. or right, which would be people trying to make the money themselves. >> what happened is the democrats have gone further left and the republicans have gone to where the democrats were 40 years ago. >> what do you object to the redistribution of wealth? >> n fact they're aspecting small business anden you drive around the country and see scores closed, out of business, because of what's goingn with our economy, that really tears my heart up. tax me, i don't care. >> you don't care if you pay more taxes.
9:03pm
>> i pay hugh month -- the more money the congress gets, the more may they -- >> i got to see it doing some good. you have a foundation, i have a foundation. we give a lot of money privately to charity wes know, like the wounded warriors, we know they do -- chuck, thanks for coming. >> thank you, bill. >> would you call yourself a consecutive now? >> i've been conservative. on -- because of the position that we're in right now. >> financial position. >> certain financial, and i always said if you're going to wear the badge that we've earned of sheriff of the world. then you better act like wyatt earp. >> that puts you in aminority in hollywood. there aren't some actors they
9:04pm
say they're conservative, they won't work. >> being a hypocrite here because i don't like when actors talk politics. >> we never hear you talk politics. >> i don't but i'm on the o'reilly show. >> why don't you like actors that talk about politics. >> because they haven't got political science degrees. >> it does get annoying when somebody like barbara tries season does a political web site, people who need liberal people are the luckiest people in the world. >> studied there. >> now, in hollywood, also, we're not as touch as we used to be. i remember a movie called el dorado. you're a young guy. >> i think you better stand up. >> john wayne, robert mitchum, and you. three tough guys. >> see if you can do that trick twice. >> wayne was like you, an intimidator. >> oh, sure. >> i think you like it. sonny corleone.
9:05pm
>> back then in hollywood, these were really tough guys. tough guys that came up the hard way, and that showed through on the screen. same thing with you. bobby. >> you always made fun of me. i'd say acting is a silly thing to for a group to do but -- for grownup to do but as i grow older, i believe in art. i didn't study how to be a tough guy. my neighbor taught me that. >> but you brought that with you. >> it's part of me. but i sing and dance but nobody knows that. >> anybody give you any jazz when you go home to l.a.? i saw mr. tremor in chicago a few weeks ago when miller and i were there. >> yeah. >> but do you get any heat when you go back because you're a republican and conservative? >> it's not really heat. i have lively speculation about certain conversations.
9:06pm
i have sherrod -- read some things how pathetic it is to be a republican in hollywood. there's this group of friends of abe. >> you're a member. >> i'm a member. there have been some dericesive comments made. >> but nothing personal to you. >> not that i know about. >> i would have loved to have been on a set withyou, ted danson and woodey harrelson. you can't get more left wing than those guys, and you and hassenberg, on the other side -- >> rattenberg used to be on the other side. he made the transition. >> so, did you guy talk politics back in the day? >> once in a while. once in a while. i've always been a small government guy, and that's why i just think that the private sector and society can take care of itself better than the government can. >> do they get heated? rewhat pearlman? did they get heated?
9:07pm
>> they would say things like, this is actually on fairs children when they were having the recall on the governorship, somebody said maybe kelsy is going to run. i said i hope he does declare he's going to run because i'm going to contribute a million dollars tomorrow to defeat him. >> who said that. >> one of the producers of the show. >> you were outnumbered. >> i'm always downnumberred. >> coming up, dennis leery and john lovitz unleashed. >> i believe in a strong military. >> later, ted koppel and i go head-to-head over the popularity of the fox news channel.
9:08pm
9:09pm
>> tonight, actors rob lowe,
9:10pm
kevin spacey have become outspoken in the world of politics. we sat down recently with them. >> you say that hollywood is a one-party town, liberal democrat town. is there a reason for that? >> i think that -- i don't know what it says, not meant to be a judgment, but seems to me like creative people end up being democrats, and it's been that way -- >> is that because they feel sorry for the down-trodden? i consider myself a creative person and more of a traditional guy than a liberal guy. >> let's face it. i think that democrats are very long on empathy. artists have to be long on empathy. republicans are long on logic. in my view. >> okay. that might be a little oversimplyfy. >> when every is one way you have to go that way.
9:11pm
>> everyone can relate to hearing your parents talk only one view. >> you did work for dukakis when you were 4. he was okay but a very liberal guy and he got his butt kicked. was that because you were working for him? >> i can pick hip him but i also worked for schwarzenegger. >> what happened to him? he took on the entrenched party system in california and got his butt kicked. >> got terminated by them. >> i don't think arnold knew what he was getting into. i think he tried -- >> i disagree. never met a person who can't -- who was less good at brick -- better at bringing people together than arnold. an amazing attitude. >> but he left office with a 25% approval rating. it was just you guys that liked him. >> i'm the 25%. >> you and your pals out there, lowe. come on. >> it's very very divisive state. you're a sin tryst -- centrist
9:12pm
in california you get run over. that's too bad. in the center we should be because all of us agree on a lot. >> have you become more conservative as you get old center. >> no doubt. i am a centrist. my son had me take a poll. you couldn't put me nor in the middle. >> these pinheads in hollywood, do they care about the country's shape right now? are they aware there are changes? >> yeah. i think a lot of people in hollywood might care a little too much. and involve themselves with maybe things that are above their pay grade. >> hollywood was so enthusiastic about president obama. there is any buyer's remorse? >> i don't know because i'm not a very hollywood guy. i hang out with comics and we make fun of whoever is in office. >> so you don't hear that on the sitcom set or anything else? >> not a word. >> most comics are angry. are you?
9:13pm
>> no. nothing bothers me. i used to be. i used to drink and was a creepy guy. i was very short and angry, and then -- >> then you got taller. >> i got taller, met the love of my life. i got married to nick -- it's a girl, nick. >> i'm glad you clarified. >> the country just said, wait a minute. wait a minute. we were with him. >> especially when you're an irish catholic. you mary some guy name bruno. >> no brunos in my life. >> in show business -- yours kind of a working class guy like me. >> you have no idea. watched the show my whole life and the fact you say you're working class like me, my heart skipped a bit. >> that's true. you make it big. how do you look back? >> it takes way longer than everyone thinks, and people always say, what was your big break? it's hard to explain you have had 20 to 30 big breaks that at the time you thought was the break. >> been a great day. >> are you in or out?
9:14pm
it's not show friend, it's show business. >> you do jerry maguire and that's the biggest break you had in your life. >> you know what i went through knowing i was going to have to fire my mentor, carrying that around in my head for a week? can you get past yourself for a second? >> you have been around for a while in the entertainment industry. i have never understood why actors, producers, directors, are so liberal generally speaking. i've had actors come up to me who say, i can't really tell people how i feel because i might not work. >> charlton his heston. i said, i used to be a liberal and i became a conservative and never got invited to another party. my whole social contact was dried up. and heston was huge. but he paid a price in his mind forks going over to their consecutive side. >> i never heard of a ways because somebody had a particular political belief they didn't get a part. i think it's a bit of a myth.
9:15pm
i'll take it from an acting perspective. i think when you put yourself as actors have to do, in other people's shoes, when you have to put on the costume that someone else has worn in their lives, it's much, much harder to be prejudiced against them and to be -- and to not try to look at the world in the sense i'm not going to judge somebody eye. going try to understand who they are and what they're about. think that acting is a humannianizing profession. >> so empathy is gained by your professional expertise in playing difference characters. >> i don't think it's sympathy. can't judge the, which is play because -- characters which i play because that's for the audience to do. i figure out how they head the decision they made. that's more interesting rather than saying this person is a villain. that's not interesting. we try to make it entertaining.
9:16pm
i also think it's sometimes -- the gore-bush election there are circumstances where people make decisions or misjudgments or behave in such ways you knock actually believe you can't write this stuff because it's so outrageous. it's inherently funny. >> thank you, mr. spacey. >> coming up, jon lovitz had a few things to say about president obama at his comedy club. >> i said and why went viral, which is shocking to me.
9:17pm
9:18pm
when i take a picture of this check, it goes straight to the bank. oh. oh look the lion is out! no mommy no! don't worry honey, it only works on checks. deposit checks from your smartphone with chase quickdeposit. just snap a picture, hit send and done. take a step forward and chase what matters.
9:19pm
>> welcome back to this special edition of "the factor." we start with leary up leashed. >> why could you hate america? >> i love america. >> why do you hate america? >> i love america. >> you write, this country -- i assume that's america -- including you and most of the people related to you by birth or marriage or both is populated by beings who have been so blessed for so long they have become immune to any interests other than their own. >> true.
9:20pm
>> you see, i mean, come on. >> how many people -- just in your daily walking around -- i don't walk around. people carry me. >> then you don't have to worry about it. while you're being cared arounddown don't you notice morons with their heads down, texting or whatever they're doing while they're walking? >> there's a lot of -- >> not everybody. >> not you, not me. >> i don't know about you. >> but almost everybody else. >> you're making money -- >> i don't walk around -- >> you're making big money on your books and basically saying this country is doomed. we're a bunch of pinheads. >> i'm not saying we're out of it or doomed but it's the greates country on the planet but a lot of dead weight. >> put a percentage on it. >> i'm going to -- dead weight? i'd have to go with at least -- i'm just going to base this on my own math. about 45%.
9:21pm
>> 45%. almost half the country. >> we have wide receivers making $8 million a year, tweeting, god, because they dropped a pass. seriously. >> now, are you a liberal, a boston liberal? >> i am -- >> matt damon, ben affleck? >> no, i'm not ben affleck. >> my guys in boston aren't like you guys. >> who is your guy in boston? >> name a guy. >> my guys aren't the liberal guys. >> like who? >> i'm not going to embarrass them because anybody associate width me their whole life is over. >> i'm a jack kennedy democrat. my parents are irish immigrants -- >> but you were working class. >> i believe that -- i believe in strong military, and helping those below you, and if you're balancing the budget and doing -- you should be able to sleep with whoever you want. that's the jack kennedy approach. >> you're in that libertarian democratic precincts. >> i guess so. >> a lot of firefighters just
9:22pm
beat the hell out of you because they're strong, conservative. >> i have a lot of conservative views. >> give me one. >> well, tattoos. i basically don't like tattoos. unless you're a firefighter who has a tattoo that has to do with that or a military guy. those are people who have shoo have tattoos. maybe if your keith rich shard chards, i don't like the speeder on the neck. >> sends the wrong message. >> moron. >> you know what we found common ground? >> we did. >> america today. we have an attitude like the greeks and the romans. >> sure. >> we're growing down? >> sure. don't you think? >> i'm asking you, man. >> i mean, we keep doing the same thing and expecting different results. the debate used to work for our country but doesn't work now. tribalism worked. the greeks thinking. we're like a compilation of every empire as they fall. we're like the costco of empire
9:23pm
declines. >> everything that everybody in the past has done wrong -- >> how does it manifest itself? >> just excess -- with us it's like excess but also the fact that, even years ago people used to say we left all the manufacturing jobs left the country and just all moving money. out in it's not even moving money. now it's not even moving the idea of money. most people's job is talking about the future. money not in the present february, not even paper. >> the hem fund guys, nobody knows what that is. >> right. you're trading the idea of somebody else doing something. >> and they make all this money and they don't do anything. there's nothing there. but you think we're culturally in decline because of thing like the jersey shore. >> we've always been like that. jersey shore is an easy one to attack because -- at least when they watch plays, the greeks weren't frivolous. they were watching mobility and we're just watching snooki
9:24pm
losing already cell phone. >> but if you look at what's going on, on jersey shore, it's almost like the greeks, you. greeks, i don't know what they're doing itself never watched the jersey shore, and i thought it was zoom by thing at first about they're reel people. >> i think it frightens you because we're irish. >> yes. >> that's an italian show. >> i know italians who are just appalled by that. >> i do, too. too close. >> here's how bad the jersey shore thing is, even organized crime is appalled by it. they're going, hey, you're giving us a bad name. >> are making that into the focal point. they don't even fight. they don't get mad. now see never see them -- i feel like we're not connecting. having heart-to-hearts. it's like a touchy feely new
9:25pm
nation. >> i liked westside story more when they attacked each other. >> do you watch the factor and cable news and listen to talk radio to draw from your material? >> i do. i'll prove i watch the factor. you've been very bullying to steve lately. steve brings out something in you from your teenage years where you just bully him. >> i see steve as part of the decline of america. >> this whole thing with obama saying the rich don't pay their taxes is [bleep]. >> and i voted for the guy and i'm a democrat. what a [bleep]. >> the rich don't pay their taxes, let me tell you something, right? first they say your dead broke. the united states of america. you can do anything you want. go for it. so then you go for it and then you make and it it's like [bleep] you. >> i think a lot of people feel the way you do, that very frustrating and all of this class warfare, but you're kind of disrespectful when you called
9:26pm
barack obama, the president of the united states, a blanking blank. do you feel bad about doing that? >> no. because you have to put it in context. i'm in a comedy club, my own comedy club and doing a pod cast and you're just open and hospital and that's the nature of any comedy club. there's no language restrictions. so you just basically say how you feel. i wouldn't say that now. it's different in the club. i do standup, my whole act i make fun of everybody. and you can't say on television what you -- >> i know that. here's the deal. we live in a crazy now electronic world where everything everybody says is instantly on the internet and whipped around the world. and what i'm worried about is even though i'm sympathetic to what you're saying because i think i'm at bit like you in the sense that i come from very modest beginnings, work our way up, really work hard, and then when we're told we're not paying our fair share, it's annoying.
9:27pm
but the want the presidency, the office to be respected and i don't want people using those kinds of terms to describe any president. do you see my point? >> yeah, i do see your point. but to me, i'm just a mouse compared to the president of the united states. one. two, in a comedy club, people talk this way all the time. it's nothing -- if you have ever been to a club, what i said was nothing itch also said he's amazing, what he achieved in his own life but that wasn't the headline, the real issue isn't that i said it but it went viral because it's shooking to me. who cares what i think. >> anything like that now, anything like that, and they're not going to take it into context, either. now, the reaction to you -- >> well, i think that's part of the problem, too. is people say just because you're a come immediateon on a stage, you're joking around?
9:28pm
the answer is, yes. >> the factor moves along this evening, ted koppel and i go month oaman know over the state of cable news. >> die fine your beef with me and fox news. >> it's the tv news edition of "the factor" goes hollywood. we hope you stay tuned for that report. ♪
9:29pm
(announcer) when subaru owners look in the mirror, they see more than themselves. so we celebrate our year-end with the "share the love" event. get a great deal on a new subaru and 250 dollars goes to your choice of five charities. by the end of th, our fifth year, our total can reach almost 25 million dollars. it's a nice reflection on us all. now through january 2nd.
9:30pm
>> first personal store, ted koppel not a big fan of cable news. in fact he thinks it has harmed journalism in america. so i had to convince mr. koppel otherwise. >> so why don't you define for the vast factor audience your beef with me and fox news. >> what your beef? >> i don't have a beef with you. i really don't. let me modify that a little bit.
9:31pm
i think there are times when you are -- what's the phrase you like so much -- bold and -- >> fresh. >> fresh, sometimes a little too bold, sometimes a little too fresh. sometimes a little too intolerant of allowing people to complete an answer. >> is that an -- >> does it offend me? it offends me when you're rude, when you ride over people, which you have a tendency to do. >> i only do it when the filibuster or when they lie. as barney frank frank did one time. i don't do it when someone sincere his tried to answer my question. >> 15 years ago there was a crying need for a network that focused more on conservative issues. fox has done that. msnbc has now come along and tried to provide -- not because it saw the need for an
9:32pm
ideological balance but it saw the balance sheet. >> getting their butt kicked but there's a big difference between fox and msnbc. >> what do you think it is. >> do you know. >> i don't know. >> we actually do hard news here from 9:00 in the morning until 5:00 in the afternoon. eight hours. and msnbc doesn't do one hour of hard news. it's all, let push the liberal democratic agenda from signon to sign off. >> i don't think anyone is going to be confusioned as to the ideological belief of most of the people who appear on fox. >> i think that's grossly unfair to the hard news reporters. okay? if you look at our bureau system and the people we have reporting, the network is more traditional. i think that's a fairer term -- than the other network news and they give weight to people, the commentators and people they hire. if you look at all of the journalists -- we can tick them
9:33pm
down if you want. rather, brokaw, cronkite, they're all left-wing guys, all of them. and now know that. >> hold on. hold of. i would argue that back in the day, you didn't know what cronkite thought. >> if you were in iowa you didn't know but if you were working at cbs news you damn well knew because i worked there. >> you may have known what he was offcamera but you didn't know on camera. >> decisions were made about personnel, story coverage, and point of view by cronkite, brokaw, and rather, who were committed left wingers. >> and koppel, you might aswell add him. >> i think he was just in a days all the time. i don't think you interfered that much. i was as abc and i heard the scuttle but about you. you weren't a big interferer, and jennings wasn't either. he didn't like all that ideology. that's why i didn't bring his
9:34pm
name up. >> i'd rather you criticize me because your compliment are more damaging and more -- >> i got tell the truth, koppel. >> bill, what is it you think i have said about the network or written about the network? >> you think we corrupted the sanctity of fair news coverage. >> i think, i think that ideological coverage of the news, be it of the right or be it of the left, has created a political reality in this country which is bad for america. i think it's made it difficult, if not impossible, for decent men and women in congress, on capitol hill to reach across the aisle, and find compromise. if we can't do that, bill, we're going to be in the -- and we have been, i think, last few years, in a terrible situation in this country where politically we can't make deals anymore. >> you're blaming me and the fox
9:35pm
news channel for the deterioration of congress. they've don't have enough guts to do wheat best for the country by compromising, they don't deserve to be there. you can't be on top as long as fox news has been on top and sell a product that is inferior or dishonest. it's impossible in this country. so therefore i want you to re-evaluate our network, watch it a little bit more and then we'll talk in about a year. last words. >> the last word is, how many people are watching the fox network at 10:00 in the morning? or 2:00 in the afternoon? or 3:00 in the afternoon? roughly? >> i don't know how many people. >> you should. you work for the organization. >> we have millions of people watching us from sign on to signoff. >> but you do not have millions of people watching at ten in the morning or noon or 1:00 ithe afternoon. the millions of people are watching you, bill, and they're -- >> they're better for it. >> the millions of people are watching those of you with a particular point of view.
9:36pm
>> that's the way the country works. that's the free market place. >> that's the free market place and i'm perfectly content to leave it on that note. it's a business. and it's operating as a business. and once upon a timing -- time you and i actually felt that journalism was a calling. >> i still think i'm doing something noble. [laughter] >> next up, actors ed asner and roseanne barr, never shy. >> you're am old-time socialist. >> not long time. i think i'm a present time. >> do you think that president obama is a socialist? >> no, god no. >> socialism in hollywood. you don't want to miss this one. moments away.
9:37pm
9:38pm
9:39pm
>> confidences with rose season bar and ed asner why they're socialists. >> let's trace your political evolution, were you always a liberal? ii am not a liberal. hate liberals just like you do. >> i don't hate liberals. >> i don't hate them either but i'm -- i was raised a socialist. my family are socialists. they're not liberals. they're socialists. >> you were raised in a socialist family in utah and you were the only one in history because you -- not really known -- >> there wasn't many. >> so in your family, and you adhere the socialist point of view? >> well, i'm just for solutions. i'm for rebranding things. >> branding. >> yes, everything is about branding. and like instead of saying
9:40pm
liberal or anything like that, or socialist, i just say, peoplist. just trying to keep getting divided so we never really solve any problem. >> you're one of the big agitators. is this a new year's resolution here? >> i do have a new year's resolution, stop controversial blogging and lose weight. >> you have been advocating -- you don't like ronald reagan, ronald reagan. >> no. >> you don't like him. >> i don't like him. i don't like him. >> what did he do wrong? >> he cut all the social programs and destroyed the entire infrastructure of the whole social safety net for working class people. >> i didn't really see that he did that. he was certainly a self-reliance guy and a smaller government guy. >> no, he didn't -- >> reagan did nothing. >> he sold our country out to the chinese. he made -- >> why aren't we speaking chinese today? >> because we had a nice country where everything was working
9:41pm
just fine until that guy started pulling everything out. >> why aren't we speaking chinese if he sold us out to the chinese? >> i did tell my son if he would learn chinese i would buy him a lamb bore begin any. >> -- lamborghini. >> that's a little offtoppic. who else knows it? >> charity farm. an idea i had. >> charity farm, and give the food to the poor people? >> yes. >> i'll help you with that do you know how much money we give away here? we give millioned of dollars away here. >> i would really take you up on that. i just thought that was a good way to live my belief. my book is about living your beliefs. if you going to say something, back it up. >> we respect that, ms. barr. >> you get your little charity farm going, we'll help you out on it. >> now, are you an old-time
9:42pm
socialist, long-time -- york not along time. i think i'm a present time. >> do you think that president obama is a socialist? no god no. >> are you happy with him? >> not that much. i tend to read paul klu xman a lot. and he should have done so much more in terms of the bank loans and in termed of the revitalization, the money. it should have been a bigger kick start. >> he wasn't aggressive enough in mapping the economy to you. do you think think he is a phony. >> i don't know yet. >> how did how jacket when osama bin laden wend down. >> i think into many people saw it as a pan sea. he wasn't even wanted by the fbi for 9/11. >> a b. of other crimed but they were among them. >> everybody thinks that, oh, well, anytime is now erased. we got bin laden. >> i don't think everybody feels
9:43pm
that. >> i do. >> do you? >> le i think a lot of people do. >> liberal guys like you and -- barack obama has been aggressive. the drones going in there, blowing these guys up. >> that's too aggressive for my money. >> even though you get a chieftan -- >> i don't want there is, president obama came into office, the one mark on him that i have from the get-go, was that we're going to finish it in afghanistan. i don't think we need afghanistan. i i'd -- i'd like to us get out of there. nobody has ever won in afghanistan. we can dance and crow at the russians getting their ass whip thread but we're getting the saming in our own way. >> sow you want out of there. one of the things i like about you is you're not a mean guy. you and i are probably the most politically apart as ever but we can have a few laughs and -- you are -- i'm like working for you in the newsroom. >> you're fired. >> thank you. >> like donald trump, you're
9:44pm
fired. >> when you were doing the moore show, did you discuss politics with the crew? mary tyler moore is a big factor fan. she watches every night. >> no hedging. how old do i like? >> why hedge. how old do i look? >> mary has become much more conservative of late. i was the most outspoken liberal. >> do you know rush limbaugh calls me ted baxter. i consider that a compliment. >> he was a brilliant actor. >> ted this funniest man i ever knew. >> nine floors up the fire escape. >> ten, really. i lost count and overshot. >> we appreciate you coming in here, mr. asner, you're an honest guy some a patriot. thank you. >> i enjoy you. >> you've got spunk. >> well, -- >> i hate spunk. >> next, tim tebow and cameron
9:45pm
talk about the importance of god in their lives, and later cheers star john rattenberger is on a crew said to get americans back to work. >> we don't allow our children to go out and play. when is the last time you saw a kid building a treehouse? >> those reports after these announce. s.
9:46pm
9:47pm
9:48pm
>> second personal choice segment, how important is faith in everyday life? to football guy tim tebow and curt cameron, very important. the stopped by to explain why. >> the pilgrims, you want to put them up as kind of the foundation of america, we might go back to what their philosophy was. here's my beef with that. the pilgrims were intolerant people. they weren't embracing the pursuit of happiness for everybody. it was there way or the highway. >> well, actually, what i learned, they weren't intolerant in the since that king james was when they were in england. they wanted to live out principles they believed in their heart were true and right that would bring blessing to them and their family but to everyone else but you don't force it. >> if you were a heedonnist, you
9:49pm
were going to get put in a rack. the little rack thing there, and i roger williams, didn't subscribe to the pilgrims and then the pilgrims morphed into the puritans puritans and the sh child. it wasn't the pilgrim movement wasn't an oppression from the very beginning, but they did have problems accepting other people reside points of view. dd -- other people's points of grew. >> no group of people is -- >> except the factor and he factor staff. >> what i love though is the fact i could actually reach back in time in order to get some wisdom about how to move forward in the future for my kid. thought i knew who the pilgrims were and what i discovered was that these guys are in very main ways my heroes because they had enough foresight to know we
9:50pm
would get off track one day. >> what was their headline? give me their headline. >> they left us a set of principles and a secret sauce, so to speak, in at the form of 180 tons of granite, the very top of that statue, her name is faith. and faith is the very core of that statue that has been paid for by the state of massachusetts, and that faith works itself out in all of these wonderful ways that provide civility and provide morality and character and courage and liberty and blessing for all. >> they basically base their philosophy on faith that gave him a sign post on hour -- on how to live and you want americans to know what that was. do your pinhead hollywood friends give you a hard time for being a conservative game who i fundamental list in his thinking? >> sure, they gave me a hard time but at the end of the day i want to be a man of conviction and speak my heart and my mind with compassion toward people.
9:51pm
>> do you debate them? ills at it good-natured thing or do they schupp me. >> i try to be good natured. if people want to wall me nimitz cack. >> here's what i want to know. i played football at a much lower level than you. in pro football they have christian athletes like you but it's a secular society. a lot of crazy guys doing strip clubs every night and drinking. does that impact in the locker room at all your lifestyle as opposed to theirs? >> to be able to influence one to have a group of guys come together to have a successful team and to be together all the time, every day, a year and longer together you have to have -- find the common ground, and that common ground for us is football, and when they realized i go out there and work as hard as i can every day, they have a respect for me for how i play, and then that respect goes to like and the like gross to love and they'll play for you if you walk the walk.
9:52pm
then if you say something it's going to mean more. that's how i try to approach it on the field. >> do you ever get offended by their behavior? the ones who do not believe the way you believe? >> very rarely. we all have things we're trying to work on -- >> you don't judge. >> absolutely not. i'm not perfect. i'm never going to be. that's the great thing about living a christian life and trying to live by faith, trying to get better every day and trying to improve. >> some evangelicals who witness and -- >> absolutely, and that's great. but the greatest way to witness is by walking that straight and narrow, and also realizing you're going to mess up and that's what grace is for. we're going to fall but we got to get back up and you got to improve, and that's what i'm all about. not trying to act like i do everything right because i'm going to screw up and going to mess up, but i'm going to get back and get after it and try to do better the next day. >> do you pray for victory? >> i honestly doesn't care how re play on fee field but our
9:53pm
heart on the field. on the field i'm trying to play off for the glory of god and also trying too give everyt i can have and win and compete, and i think more than just winning or losing, i think he cares about where our hearts are when we are playing. >> you don't say before the game with the dallas cowboys, hey, god, let me win by at least ten points. >> cover the spread. >> right. i used to pray, please don't let me break anything. i don't want to dish want to keep my head or my arm intact. i would pray for the safety of me and the team and let the chips fall where they a may. >> i think in this sport more than anything is i pray that somehow through this game i'll be able to honor him, be able to inspire someone -- >> you can do that -- >> just by how i play. >> tim, thanks very much. we appreciate it. >> thanks so muff for happening me on. >> esque up, job rattenberger and a new crusade to get americans back to work.
9:54pm
block black
9:55pm
9:56pm
>> welcome back to this special edition of the pactor. in the back of the book segment. with the unemployment rate at 8%. lots of americans are desperate to find jobs. actor john ratzenberger feels they're pain and is trying to help. call him the job crusader. >> where's the jobs. >> nobody to fill skilled worker jobs like welders, carpenters, brick layer, late operators, tool and dye operators. >> technical jobs. you just saw the people down there working at $7 an hour, i'm not doing this or that. that goes against my worth ethic. >> i was working for nine. >> you start and build up some credibility in the work place and then go on. what you're saying is that education, public school education, should teach some of
9:57pm
these kids how to do these. >> they used to. 25 years ago, they started -- we bought into the philosophy of everyone has to go to college. not true. someone has to build the college. someone had to build the ceiling. >> we used to call them shop. >> i still have scars right here. >> but if you do go to college, the unemployment rate is only 4's 5% in this country so there's something to be said for getting educated bought you'll work. i agree with you used to be the master and the apprentice and the nave and you worked your way up. and everybody out there knows you got to get a plumber, 25 bucks an hour, right? >> and the faucet leaks you're not going to be calling the geek squad. >> right. you you say there isn't enough training in the public school him in for these jobs? >> there's none. 2020 there's 10 million unfilled jobs in the trades. >> all blue classroom jobs? >> across the board. anybody that uses told jeer as
9:58pm
the service industry goings ghost to china and honduras, the replacement for that should be skilled blue collar labor. >> the jobs -- >> got a computer guys. >> the tinkers, too. we don't allow our children to go outside and play, for whatever reason. when is the last time you saw a kid building a treehouse? >> they're afraid of child molesters. >> exactly. instead of fixing the bike, they throw a bike away but we used to learn those skills. >> you make a very good point. president obama wants to create green jobs. >> doesn't exist. >> not yet. >> a job is a job. whether you putting a nut and a boltonia pickup truck or a wind machine -- >> you think that maybe the president put in of the money instead of in the green jobs, this the -- you call them tinkering jobs, be a tinger. >> well go back to the way it was. give the kids the opportunity, study math but also study wood
9:59pm
shop, metal shop. >> here's the final question. president obama says we're softer society now. we're not willing to work hard anymore. you see that with these demonstrators, yelling and screaming we're not taking seven dollar jobs. is that true. would the kids respond? >> somebody is going to respond to it because it's our infrastructure. somebody has to repair the turbines that supply the electricity that run the computers. that's how we have this ten by 20 program. you go to center for america.org, you can download a booklet and gives you ideas of what you can do as an average citizen to go to your schools to go to factories, to get to the media and stop den -- denigrating people who work with their hands. >> there are thousands of jobs available where people have to step up and learn the skills. kids graduate from high school